Search this Site
Custom Search
Drop Down Menu Drop Down Menu
Drop Down Menu



Starting Out
Hire / Rent Before Buying
Touring Caravans
Pop-Top Caravans / Campers
Full Height Caravans
Off-Road / ATV Caravans
Single Axle vs Tandem Axle
RV Types
What is an RV ?

Motorhomes - General Info
Motorhomes - Water Heaters etc
Campervans - General Info
Slide On Campers - General Info
5th Wheeler - General Info
5th Wheeler - Hitches
5th Wheeler - Stability
Camper Trailer - Intro
Camper Trailer - Types
Camper Trailer - Refrigeration
Tow Vehicle
Best Tow Vehicle

Bull Bars
Cargo Barriers
Dual Battery System
Roller Drawer Storage Systems
Side Steps/Bars/Wheel Carriers
Snorkels/Water Bras/Diff Breathers
Storage Systems for your Gear
Suspension Upgrade
Towing Tips - Towing Courses

Compliance Plates
"Do Not Overtake Turning Vehicle"
Hitches and Couplings
Electric Brakes and Controllers
Hitches/Weight Distribution Bars
Hitches and Hitch Receivers
Reversing Made Easy
Sway Control Devices
Tow Bars and Tow Balls
Towing Mirrors
Tyre & Wheel Bearing Maintenance

Replacing Padded Stoneguards
Toilets - Treatment / Maintenance
Understanding Tyre Markings
Outdoor Camp Cooking

Preparing a Campfire for Cooking
Camp Ovens
Camp Oven Recipes
How to Rid Your RV of Ants
Roof Top Tents
Roof Top Tents for Utes/Wagons
Terms and Lingo

CB & UHF Communication
Handheld Portable UHF / CB
HF Radio
Public Phones & Phone Cards
Wireless Internet
Mobile Phone Coverage
Satellite Phones
Distress Beacons and EPIRBS
RV Extras
Heating - General
Heating - Electric
Diesel and Gas Heaters
Hoses - Drinking & Sullage
Water Tanks and 12V Pumps
Hot Water Heaters
Changing the Sacrificial Anode
Portable Toilet Systems
Portable Toilet Cleaning
Portable Toilet Chemicals
Portable Toilets
Sanitation Products / Chemicals
Refrigeration - General Info
Camper Trailer - Refrigeration
Power Options
Powering RV's and Power Usage

Power Sources for RV's
Charging Batteries
Solar Power
Portable Solar
Annexe Flooring / Matting

Awning Maintenance
"Do Not Overtake Turning Vehicle"
Electrical Extension Cords
Jockey Wheels and Power Movers
Caravan and Trailer Jacks
Folding/Electric/Motorised Bikes
Bicycle Racks & Carriers

Bicycle Accessories
Navigational Software
Devices (GPS, PDA's etc.)
Maps (Toppo's, Legends etc.)
Doing the Washing On The Road

Portable Electric Washing Machines
Camping Clotheslines
Recreational Fishing / Licences
On The Road
Ambulance Cover

Reversing made Easy
Caravan / RV Fire Safety

Carrying Extra Fuel
Cooking Outdoors (Gas/BBQ's)
Free Camping
House Sitting and House Sitters
Heavy Vehicle / RV Courtesy
Holidaying with Kids
Mail Redirection
Travelling with Dogs
Best Tow Vehicle
Vehicle Suspension Upgrade
Insects - Personal Protection
Insects - In and Around the RV
RV / Caravan Parks

Farm Stays / Bush Resorts
Rest Stops / Rest Areas
Free Camping
Preventing Theft of RV's

Security Devices
Security Alarms
What Insurance to Look For
Vehicle, Caravan/Trailer/RV Ins/
Caravan Rollover

Site Map

Vehicle Insurance, Club Membership Insurance and Travel Insurance

CIL Logo



Most insurers will cover your registered vehicle and registered RV for travel on gazetted roads.  If you are in any doubt you will be covered driving on the beach or in remote areas always check your insurance policy or with your insurer before departure.  For example, one insurer doubles the basic excess if your vehicle is driven on a beach.

For motorhome owners you may want to ensure your insurance policy covers you for electrical motor burnout.

Some familiar insurance company names are – CIL (Caravan Insurance Leaders), NRMA Insurance, RACQ Insurance, AAMI, RAA Insurance Limited and CGU.

Motorhome, Fifth-Wheeler and Campervan Insurance - the Campervan and Motorhome Club of Australia (CMCA) have an insurance scheme for financial members of the club.  The club has a contact, Ken Tame & Associates of Kew, Victoria, who will arrange cover and will only insure caravans if they also have the insurance cover for your tow vehicle as well (as a combined unit).  The insurance covers the tow vehicle and caravan whether they are used together or separately from each other.  Insurance is underwritten by Allianz Australia Insurance Limited.

Automobile Club Membership

For 24 hour roadside assistance in the event of a vehicle break down, join a motor vehicle association such as RACQ, NRMA, RACV, RAC WA etc.  These automobile clubs also provide legal assistance, member discounts and free maps.  Consider upgrading to one of their top membership packages such as Ultra Care or Premium Care, as quite often these memberships have benefits more suitable to trailer or caravan travellers.

For those of you who have an iPhone, automobile clubs now have an application you can download for free from iTunes to allow users to contact the automobile club for immediate roadside help without having to make a ‘phone call. The app uses your iPhone built-in GPS to determine your location and will remember your membership number and vehicle details.  For example, Queensland’s ‘RACQ Mobile Roadside Assistance’ iPhone App provides confirmation of your request for roadside assistance and an approximate time frame for when the roadside assistance vehicle will arrive.  The app is available to RACQ members as well as non-members.


Most automobile clubs offer Aussie Assist free with either their membership fee or comprehensive motor vehicle policy.  Aussie Assist 24 hour emergency assistance can help you (or immediate family member living with you) if you are in trouble more than 100 klms from home.  They assist in arranging medical support, air transport, accommodation and contacting friends.

You may also wish to investigate travel insurance in the event you need to cover the cost of flying home and/or the transport of your RV back home.  There are transport companies who specialise in the transport of boats, cars and caravans.


Travel Insurance

If you have a serious accident or health issue that prevents you from driving back home the next best way to get home may be by air.  Insurance cover may also be required for your spouse/partner to assist or accompany you home. 

Cover can be obtained for other things such as additional accommodation and the cost of storing and/or getting your RV transported back to your residence especially if your spouse or partner is unable to capably do so.  You should check if this may already be covered under your existing RV insurance or if it may need to be ‘topped up’.

Some insurers will provide this type of travel insurance to cover the term of your holiday say 3 – 12 month trip around Australia.

Ambulance Cover

When traveling interstate you may wish to ensure you are covered for ‘emergency’ and ‘non-emergency’ ambulance transport.  See Article - Ambulance Cover


hit counter


Disclaimer   |   Privacy Policy   |   Contact Us   |   Site Map/Index   |   Links

This site was last updated

Copyright ©  Let's All rights reserved.