Search this Site
Custom Search
Drop Down Menu Drop Down Menu
Drop Down Menu



Starting Out
Hire / Rent Before Buying
Touring Caravans
Pop-Top Caravans / Campers
Full Height Caravans
Off-Road / ATV Caravans
Single Axle vs Tandem Axle
RV Types
What is an RV ?

Motorhomes - General Info
Motorhomes - Water Heaters etc
Campervans - General Info
Slide On Campers - General Info
5th Wheeler - General Info
5th Wheeler - Hitches
5th Wheeler - Stability
Camper Trailer - Intro
Camper Trailer - Types
Camper Trailer - Refrigeration
Tow Vehicle
Best Tow Vehicle

Bull Bars
Cargo Barriers
Dual Battery System
Roller Drawer Storage Systems
Side Steps/Bars/Wheel Carriers
Snorkels/Water Bras/Diff Breathers
Storage Systems for your Gear
Suspension Upgrade
Towing Tips - Towing Courses

Compliance Plates
"Do Not Overtake Turning Vehicle"
Hitches and Couplings
Electric Brakes and Controllers
Hitches/Weight Distribution Bars
Hitches and Hitch Receivers
Reversing Made Easy
Sway Control Devices
Tow Bars and Tow Balls
Towing Mirrors
Tyre & Wheel Bearing Maintenance

Replacing Padded Stoneguards
Toilets - Treatment / Maintenance
Understanding Tyre Markings
Outdoor Camp Cooking

Preparing a Campfire for Cooking
Camp Ovens
Camp Oven Recipes
How to Rid Your RV of Ants
Roof Top Tents
Roof Top Tents for Utes/Wagons
Terms and Lingo

CB & UHF Communication
Handheld Portable UHF / CB
HF Radio
Public Phones & Phone Cards
Wireless Internet
Mobile Phone Coverage
Satellite Phones
Distress Beacons and EPIRBS
RV Extras
Heating - General
Heating - Electric
Diesel and Gas Heaters
Hoses - Drinking & Sullage
Water Tanks and 12V Pumps
Hot Water Heaters
Changing the Sacrificial Anode
Portable Toilet Systems
Portable Toilet Cleaning
Portable Toilet Chemicals
Portable Toilets
Sanitation Products / Chemicals
Refrigeration - General Info
Camper Trailer - Refrigeration
Power Options
Powering RV's and Power Usage

Power Sources for RV's
Charging Batteries
Solar Power
Portable Solar
Annexe Flooring / Matting

Awning Maintenance
"Do Not Overtake Turning Vehicle"
Electrical Extension Cords
Jockey Wheels and Power Movers
Caravan and Trailer Jacks
Folding/Electric/Motorised Bikes
Bicycle Racks & Carriers

Bicycle Accessories
Navigational Software
Devices (GPS, PDA's etc.)
Maps (Toppo's, Legends etc.)
Doing the Washing On The Road

Portable Electric Washing Machines
Camping Clotheslines
Recreational Fishing / Licences
On The Road
Ambulance Cover

Reversing made Easy
Caravan / RV Fire Safety

Carrying Extra Fuel
Cooking Outdoors (Gas/BBQ's)
Free Camping
House Sitting and House Sitters
Heavy Vehicle / RV Courtesy
Holidaying with Kids
Mail Redirection
Travelling with Dogs
Best Tow Vehicle
Vehicle Suspension Upgrade
Insects - Personal Protection
Insects - In and Around the RV
RV / Caravan Parks

Farm Stays / Bush Resorts
Rest Stops / Rest Areas
Free Camping
Preventing Theft of RV's

Security Devices
Security Alarms
What Insurance to Look For
Vehicle, Caravan/Trailer/RV Ins/
Caravan Rollover

Site Map


Xantrex Prosine Inverter

If you wish to run 240V appliances such as a 240V TV or a laptop computer in your RV from a 12V system you will need to install an inverter.  An inverter is an electrical device that converts 12V Direct Current (DC) from the batteries to 240V Alternating Current (AC).  Invertors also draw their power from a 12V deep cycle battery or battery bank (several batteries wired in parallel). 

As inverters produce 240V always exercise caution as it is as deadly as mains power.


When investigating inverters you will come across the terms square wave, modified square or sine wave and pure sine wave.  The most popular inverters, even though they are a bit more expensive, are pure sine wave as they deliver the most constant output and run sensitive appliances such as laptop or notebook computers.  The cheaper inverters are modified sine – don’t be fooled into purchasing anything but a pure sine if you wish to run switch mode power supplies such as used for laptops or electric motors.

Power inverters come in a range of models and sizes that vary in watts.  If you just require power for say two lights, a radio and a small laptop computer then a 500W inverter connected to a 12V power socket may suffice but if you wish to use a larger laptop computer, DVD or TV and mobile telephone charger or a bread maker then a larger inverter would be necessary.  If you want the inverter connected into fixed wiring this work must be done by a licensed electrician.

Some electrical appliances have a ‘start up surge’ or ‘peak load’ when turned on which is much higher than their continuous draw or ‘continuous load’ so the size/capacity of the inverter will need to cope with this.  Another example is if you wish to use tools such as an electric drill then the size/capacity of the inverter would need to cope with the drill under load.  Adequate power stored in the RV battery bank would also be needed.


Depending on the way the wiring has been done you may have to turn off the RV battery charger when using the inverter.

Owners of off-road caravans are now having the 240V wiring specifically installed in their RV to be able to isolate the battery charger and the air conditioner when the inverter is on, but still run those appliances from the generator at the same time if they wished to do so.

Caution:  Any electrical work must be carried out by a licensed electrician and you should let the electrician know there is an inverter installed.  The Owner’s Manual for the Xantrex 1800W inverter states in part -  ‘disconnect the DC power (and AC power if applicable on hardwire versions) from the Sine Wave Inverter before attempting any maintenance or cleaning or working on any equipment and circuits connected to the Sine Wave Inverter.  Turning off controls will not reduce the risk’.

These large Xantrex 1800W inverters are designed to be used with deep-cycle lead acid batteries and Xantrex recommend a minimum battery size of 200 Ah for moderate loads (less than 1000W) and greater than 400 Ah for heavy loads.  The Xantrex owner’s manual also provides information concerning cables and adequate cable gauge.

Some brand names/suppliers for inverters are Xantrex Technology Inc, Victron Energy Shop, Smartpower Inverters, Vector Inverters and Sinergex Inverters.

Inverters can also be purchased from Bainbridge Technologies, Dick Smith Electronics, Jaycar Electronics, Springers Low Voltage Specialists, Rainbow Power Company Ltd, Solar Xpress, The 12V Shop as well as RV accessory outlets.

12V Appliances

12 volt 3 wayIf you don’t want to use an inverter, then 12V appliances are available but you may find some of these expensive as well as draw too much current.  Further, the caravan wiring may be inadequate for the amount of current these appliances draw. 

There are generators that have an additional smaller 12V DC output for running 12V appliances direct.

12V appliances can be sourced from specialty stores, some caravan and camping outlets, Camec, Boating Camping & Fishing (BCF) stores as well as marine stores.

Essentially, you will still need some mains electrical backup, diesel fuel or LPG gas to run any hot water system or for cooking.

12 volt fan 12 volt coffee perculator 12 volt drill 12 volt vacuum dust buster



wordpress stat

Disclaimer   |   Privacy Policy   |   Contact Us   |   Site Map/Index   |   Links

This site was last updated

Copyright ©  Let's All rights reserved.